What is the Alexa Connect Kit?
Alexa Connect Kit (ACK) is a managed service that makes it easy to connect your product to Alexa.
With ACK, you don't need to write an Alexa skill, manage a cloud service, or develop complex network and security firmware to connect your product to Alexa. Instead, you integrate an ACK hardware module into your product and pay a one-time, per-device fee. ACK provides the managed services, software, and tools you can use to develop and manage your Alexa-connected products on an ongoing basis.
After integrating with ACK, your customers benefit from Alexa device control and other features, such as Amazon Frustration-Free Setup (FFS) and Amazon Dash Replenishment Service (DRS).
What can you build with ACK?
Use the Alexa Connect Kit to build smart home products that support the Alexa Smart Home API. Examples include lighting and electrical products (switches, outlets, plugs, power strips), small and large domestic appliances (microwaves, coffee machines, kettles, dishwashers), home environment products (fans, purifiers, air conditioners, thermostats), and more.
For more example products, see Example Products Built with Alexa Connect Kit.
How's ACK different from other Alexa services?
Alexa provides multiple development options to build and control your smart home devices. These options include the Alexa Connect Kit (ACK), Alexa Smart Home Skills, and Alexa Voice Service (AVS). You can choose the development option that best suits your device type, development preference, and the experience that you want to create. For details, see Alexa-Enabled Smart Home Development Options.
ACK provides the following benefits for both you and your customers.
- Quick prototyping – Add Alexa control to your device by using the ACK development kit and provided reference code.
- No cloud management – Run your devices on an Amazon-managed ACK cloud instead of building your own.
- Minimal embedded coding – Connect existing device logic to a preconfigured ACK module.
- Simplified device maintenance – Publish updates to your device fleet and collect operational metrics or device logs.
- Predictable cost structure – Non-recurring, per-unit fee.
- Simplified – Seamless device registration by using Amazon Frustration-Free Setup (FFS).
- Familiar – Control devices by using Alexa voice commands and the Alexa app.
- Reliable – Backed by Amazon-managed cloud services and kept up-to-date through seamless over-the-air (OTA) updates.
- Advanced – Automate devices with Alexa capabilities, such as routines.
ACK-based products benefit from the following features. For more details on how these features work with ACK, including which are mandatory and which are optional, see Device Features.
- Out-of-box Alexa control – Control your product with the Alexa app or an Alexa-enabled product, such as an Amazon Echo Dot or an Alexa Built-in device.
- Frustration-Free setup (FFS) / Wi-Fi Simple Setup (WSS) – ACK-based products use Amazon Frustration-Free Setup (FFS) to connect devices to a Wi-Fi network and register them with Alexa. This makes it easier for your customers to register their devices with Amazon and Alexa services. FSS/WSS offers zero-touch setup, barcode registration, and customer-guided setup flows for device registration. The use of FFS is mandatory on all ACK-based devices and is required for device operation.
- Logs and metrics* – Define, collect, store and view logs and metrics for your ACK-based devices using the tools Amazon makes available through the ACK Analytics Service. You're a controller of the data you collect and store from your ACK devices. Amazon is a processor of this data, and can only use the data to provide you the ACK managed services.
- OTA firmware updates* – Update your ACK module and host microcontroller firmware (HMCU) over-the-air to devices in the field.
- Certification – Certify your device with the Works with Alexa (WWA) and Frustration-Free Setup (FFS) programs.
Amazon Dash Replenishment Service (DRS)* – Enable automatic reordering of the consumables for your product with Amazon DRS. For more details, see About Dash Replenishment.Note: * The features marked with an asterisk are available for commercial manufacturers only.
ACK product components
The following list describes the main components that power an ACK device. For more specific details on how they work together, along with descriptions of other important components, see How Alexa Connect Kit Works.
- ACK module – An Amazon-managed hardware component that you integrate into your ACK-based device. This module runs the Amazon firmware that connects your device to the ACK managed services.
- ACK Device SDK – An Amazon provided SDK that runs on your device microcontroller and handles Alexa commands, manages your device states, and implements ACK features, such as over-the-air updates and device logs and metrics.
- ACK managed services – As your service provider and data processor, Amazon delivers you cloud-based ACK managed services and partner and device-specific backend functionalities. This includes Alexa capability management tools, tools for you to define, collect and store logs and metrics for your ACK-based devices, and tools to support services for monitor the performance and health of your ACK devices and their connection to the internet and Amazon services.
- ACK developer console – An Amazon-managed online portal that allows you to configure and manage your ACK-based products and devices. With the ACK developer console, you can view device registrations, and download resources, such as the ACK Device SDK.