Smart Home Skill Concepts
Before you implement smart home skills, you should understand the components of a smart home skill and when to use them. For an overview of smart home skill types, see Smart Home Skill Types.
If you're ready to start building your skill, see Steps to Build a Smart Home Skill.
In this section
Before you build a smart home skill, review the following smart home concepts:
- State and Change Reporting – How to include support for state and change reporting when you build a skill that interacts with a smart home device.
- Send Events to the Alexa Event Gateway – Explains how to request access to the the Alexa event gateway and how to send events to the gateway.
Proactively Manage Endpoints – Notify Alexa about changes to the endpoints associated with your smart home skill.
- Develop Skills for Multiple Languages – Create smart home skills for Alexa that respond to customer utterances in different languages.
- Generic Controller Interfaces – General-purpose interfaces that you can use to model different components of a smart home device in your Alexa skill.
- Device Templates – Recommends sets of interfaces that you could implement in your smart home skill for different types of devices.
- Real-Time Communications – Enables real-time streaming of audio and video between Alexa and your smart home device.
- Best Practices for the Alexa App – Best practices to support the Alexa app with your smart home skill.
- Migration Guide v2 to v3 – Updating an existing smart home skill from version 2 to version 3 of the message format.